Nessel set to appeal dismissed charges against former Ann Arbor priest
An Ann Arbor district judge has dismissed charges against a former Diocese of Lansing priest after deciding a statute of limitations argument by Attorney General Dana Nessel's office that had been used in other clergy abuse cases could not be applied in this one.
Judge Joseph Burke on Tuesday dismissed four counts each of first-degree and second-degree criminal sexual conduct against the former Rev. Timothy Crowley at the conclusion of his preliminary examination. Burke ruled that the six-year statute of limitations that was in place at the time of the alleged assault had expired before Crowley moved out of state, said Joseph Simon, a lawyer for Crowley.
The ruling provided an “enormous sense of relief," Simon said. “I believe the judge followed the law correctly and I am pleased that he did.”
READ MORE at the link provided.